Some of you might hear that mormons have a code of health so they abstain themselves from consuming some substances including alcohol.
The answer to that questions is that mormons are not allowed to drink alcohol since that it is specifically prohibited in their code of health called the Word of Wisdom
The Word of Wisdom came to Mormons through the inspiration of Joseph Smith, their founding leaders.
The revelation that stated that the Mormon are not allowed to drink alcohol is part of a sacred book called the Doctrine and Covenants.
The Doctrine and Covenant says the following:
4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation
5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.Doctrine and Covenants: Section 89
Table of Contents
Do Some Mormons Drink Alcohol?
I joined Mormonism when I was 16 years old and I left the church when I was around 31 so I didn’t develop the habit of drinking.
Even now that I am out of the church, I don’t feel that drinking is something that I really need in my life.
These are some scenarios in which some mormons might drink alcohol without their spiritual leaders knowing.
- There are mormons who join the church in their 20’s or 30’s and they might have the habit of drinking alcohol casually so they might have a hard time abstaining from drinking and they might have a beer or two without their LDS friends and leaders knowing
- There are people who have been mormons of all their lives, they know that alcohol is prohibited in the church but they consume it anyways since they don’t really believe in whatever the church has to say.
- There are some mormons who believe in some things that the church teaches and not in everything the Church has to say about the welfare of your soul so they drink hoping they don’t become alcoholics.
- The last case is that there are people pretending that they love Mormonism since they get a benefit from the church, these might be studying in one of the church university campuses they have to live their double lives until they are out of the church.
What Happens if A Mormon Drinks Alcohol?
Well the answer to the fate of Mormons who drink alcohol is kind of complicated to determine since the church doesn’t enforce rules the same way to everyone who doesn’t obey their rules.
The Mormons believe that you should be judged based on the “light” and knowledge that you have so if you have been a member of the church and local leader, they might punish you by limiting your participation in church assignments or they might excommunicate you if you persist in disobeying.
If you just joined the church, they might not be so tough with you since you don’t have the light and knowledge other more influential local members have.
At the end of the day, the punishment that you might receives depends on who your local leaders and who you are in terms of Mormonism.
Articles Related to Mormonism
These are some articles about Mormonism that you might find interesting
- What Mormons Don’t Tell you
- Who do Mormons Worship?
- Mormons Get their Own Planet in the After Life?
- What Happens When you Leave the Mormon Church?
- Do Mormons Watch TV?
- Can Mormons Eat Chocolate?
- Why do Mormons Have so Many Kids?
- 100 Questions to Ask Mormons
- Can Mormons Drink Soda?
- Things Mormon Missionaries Can’t Do